New Student Orientation for Fall Term 2016
August 22-26, 2016
Welcome to the School of Information Sciences (the iSchool)! We are excited to have you become a part of the iSchool community. Please complete the following steps below to make this as smooth of a transition as possible:
1) Review the schedule for the fall term orientation - plan your arrival in Pittsburgh accordingly! NOTE: You do NOT need to register/RSVP for orientation. Main event locations;
- Information Science (IS) Building - 135 N Bellefield Ave
- Alumni Hall - 4227 Fifth Ave
- Twentieth Century Club - 4201 Bigelow Blvd
2) Visit this Web page to learn how to get your computer account and photo id, plan and register online for classes, find your way around Pitt, etc.
3) Use this guideline sheet to make sure you know when to seek help from your advisor, when to see Student Services, when to see the Registrar, etc.
4) Visit the iSchool policies and procedures Web page - please use this link as your primary tool for finding all policies and resources you may need to know and use as a student in our School and at Pitt.
5) For international students:
- You must first schedule your OIS check-in and English Language Proficiency Test (if needed) and then email email@example.com with those dates.
- Then, an individual appointment will be assigned to you. Attendance at your appointment is required. You will not be able to register for classes until after your individual appointment. For your appointment assignment, see this list.
- Review the Office of International Services website for important OIS-Orientation information.
6) Don't forget to RSVP for the iSchool Welcome Picnic at Kennywood amusement park on Sunday, August 30. There are a limited number of free tickets available, so don’t delay! Please respond no later than Friday, August 14.
7) Watch this informative presentation about the iSchool given by Wes Lipschultz, Director of Student Services. Wes summarizes important information to be presented during orientation, which will be beneficial to all incoming students, especially online students or late arriving students.
Click here for a helpful campus and parking map.