Course Substitution and Transfer Credits

Course substitution for a graduation requirement

If you would like to substitute a required course on your plan of study, you must;

  1. Complete the plan of study for your specialization, track, or pathway noting the course substitution you would like to make (Plans of study: LIS, IST, Tele).
  2. Submit the plan of study, a copy of the course description and syllabus, and a letter with rationale for substituting the required course to your advisor.
  3. Once the advisor has determined approval of your request, he/she will either sign the plan of study or send an approval email to
  4. Copies of all paperwork must be sent to in order to expedite your graduation requirement review.

Transfer Credits Procedure for Current Graduate Students

If you would like to have external, non-Pitt credits count toward the total number of credits required for graduation, the credits must meet University's policies and regulations for acceptance of transfer credits.

If the University's acceptance conditions have been met, you must;

  1. Submit a syllabus and/or course description and a completed transfer credits request form to your advisor and the Department Chair.
  2. Verify that an official transcript reporting the grade for the requested transfer credits is on file with Student Services. If no official transcript for these credits is on file, submit it to:

Academic Administrator
5th Floor Information Sciences Building
135 North Bellefield Ave
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260

These materials will be submitted for departmental faculty to review and approve. If approved, an official letter will be sent to your mailing address on file in the Pitt Portal.