Visiting Scholar Program Application
Thank you for your interest in the Visiting Scholar Program at the University of Pittsburgh School of Information Sciences (SIS). This application has been created to facilitate the selection of candidates for the Visiting Scholar Program and to allow for preparation and issuance of the required visa documents. Please read and follow the instructions very carefully to prevent delays in the processing of your application and visa documents. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Sharon Bindas or Pitt’s Office of International Services.
Visiting Scholar Program Application Checklist
- Completed Application Form
- Current CV / Resume
- Summary of proposed research
- 2 Letters of Reference / 2 Recommendations (Student Candidates ONLY)
- 2 Publications (Faculty/Post-Doc Candidates ONLY)
- English Language Proficiency (Copy of current TOEFL score)
Visa Documents for International Scholars: Process Steps
- You must submit all application materials directly to the School of Information Sciences.
- Processing a submitted application (time for reviewing the application and making an admission decision) might take several months. Decisions are made by the School of Information Sciences Visiting Scholar Program committee, not by Pitt’s Office of International Services.
- Once a decision is made, a copy of your financial support information, Visitor Agreement, copy of current passport and your invitation letter from SIS will be reviewed by Pitt’s Office of International Services. There is a $150 Visa Application Processing Fee that is charged when the Office of International Services prepares your DS-2019. This fee is non-refundable and must be submitted to the Office of the Dean, School of Information Sciences. Payments may be made by check in U.S. Dollars payable to the "University of Pittsburgh." Please write the name of the visiting scholar on the check or money order. Visa application processing fee is due upon arrival.
- If the financial support information submitted is acceptable, a visa document will be prepared and sent to you.
Certification of Financial Responsibility
Please review the following instructions before completing and signing this form.
- Review the cost estimates below.
- Complete the certification indicating the amount of support that will be provided from each source.
- All proof of financial support must be submitted in English.
- All proof of financial support must be stated in U.S. dollars and clearly state the date that the documentation was written or printed.
- All proof of financial support must be an original document.
- All financial resources must be in liquid assets. Stocks, bonds, or other investments with cash value may be accepted if evidenced by a portfolio on the managing firm’s letterhead. Please note that retirement accounts cannot be used as a source of financial support unless the sponsor can provide evidence that he/she is, in fact, retired and able to access those funds without penalty for early withdrawal. Real estate or other non-liquid asset such as automobiles, jewelry, or other personal property cannot be used as a source of financial support under any circumstances.
- Please be aware that evidence of financial support must also be shown to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate when applying for a visa. Therefore, you will need to have two sets of financial support documents—one to submit to the University of Pittsburgh and one for the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
- More than one sponsor may be used. This form may be copied for use by more than one sponsor.
Estimated Costs Per Year
Visiting Scholar, School of Information Sciences
12 Months Living Expenses*: $18,823.00
* Living expense estimates include the following:
- Rent: $700.00/month
- Utilities: $200.00/month
- Food: $300.00/month
- Miscellaneous: $100.00/month (clothing, laundry, dry cleaning, etc.)
- Insurance: $1,400.00/year
Please note that these are estimates of the minimum living expenses, based upon US poverty guidelines from the US Department of Health & Human Services. You must be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support your period of stay in the US in order for the Office of International Services to issue you the SEVIS Form DS-2019. Please note that the cost estimates are subject to change without notice.
The following are NOT included in the above estimates: Initial settling cost (rental deposit, etc.) - $1,500.00; Dependents – for each dependent, add an additional $4,350.00 per year per dependent.
Any questions or comments about SIS’ Visiting Scholar Program, past or present Visiting Scholars, or application process should be directed to: Sharon Bindas, firstname.lastname@example.org