This program is hosted on the Pitt Online platform, an easy-to-use online learning environment at the University of Pittsburgh. Learn more >
Goals for Graduates of
Upon completion of the MLIS degree, graduates will incorporate the theories, knowledge, skills, ethical foundations and social responsibilities of the information professions into professional practice for the benefits of users. Specifically, graduates will be able to:
- Draw upon the ethics, values and history of library and information science and other related disciplines.
- Apply the principles of information management.
- Advance the creative and ethical applications of information technologies.
- Apply the principles of management to various functions in information environments.
- Plan, implement, evaluate and advocate information services to meet the needs of diverse users.
- Promote intellectual freedom and equity of access to information.
- Understand and apply research in library and information science.
- Promote a commitment to the advancement of the information professions through advocacy, continuing education and lifelong learning.
Revised and affirmed by the faculty of the Library and Information Science Program on April 6, 2011.