- SIS celebrates Ellen Detlefsen’s career and establishment of Wendell L. Wray Endowment for Diversity and Inclusion
- SIS alumna receives Medal of Distinction from Seton Hill University
- SIS alumna receives a 2015-2016 Jefferson Award
- SIS faculty member, Michael Spring, tells graduating students to always keep dreaming
- SIS alumna appointed new archivist at Carnegie Museum of Art
- SIS alumnus reflects on seven years as University Librarian at Boston College
- SIS student, Kate Madison, receives 2016 Society of American Archivists Ham Scholarship
- Two SIS faculty members on new Association for Computing Machinery journal’s editorial board
- iSchool Recognition Ceremony honored graduates on May 1st!
- Sheila Corrall and Kip Currier win LIBER Innovation Award
SIS alum receives 2016 SAA Emerging Leader Award
Matt Gorzalski is the 2016 recipient of the Society of American Archivists’ (SAA) Emerging Leader Award. Gorzalski graduated from SIS’ MLIS program in 2008 and worked as an archives assistant at the University of Pittsburgh Archives Services Center from 2007 to 2008.
Since graduating from SIS, Gorzalski has worked as an archivist for the Kansas State Historical Society and the History Center in Diboll, Texas. Most recently, Gorzalski has spent the past nearly four years as a university archivist at Southern Illinois University. His time there has been dedicated to raising awareness for archives and the use of historic records in classroom instruction, which includes teaching critical skills using hands-on digitization exercises.
Gorzalski is an active member of the SAA. He is the current chair of both the Collection Management Tools Roundtable (CMTRT) and Career Development Subcommittee. He is also a member of the ArchivesSpace Technical Advisory Council and its Migration Working Group, which provides testing, support, documentation, and enhancement prioritization for developers and users.
This award also recognizes Gorzalski’s research, which has been published in The American Archivist, Archival Issues, and Journal of Archival Organization. In 2014, Gorzalski received the David B. Gracy II Award for the best article in Provenance for his paper titled, “Reimaging Record Groups: A Case Study and Considerations for Record Group Revision.”
Established in 2011, the SAA’s Emerging Leader Award celebrates and encourages early career archivists who have completed archival work of broad merit, demonstrated significant promise of leadership, performed commendable service to the archives profession, or have accomplished a combination of these requirements.
Please join us in congratulating Gorzalski on his achievements!
Want to interact with SIS?
We host a variety of on-campus and online information sessions so that you can:
• visit us on-campus or virtually
• meet our faculty and staff
• tour our research and classroom facilities
• explore careers in the information professions
• learn about our multi-disciplinary degree programs
Join us for an information session to learn more about about our undergraduate, graduate, and online programs! View schedule >